Wednesday 22 June 2011

Baked Smoked Haddock & Leek Risotto

Every now and then you cook something for the first time that just works.  Tonight’s dinner was sublime!  So easy to do and so satisfying. 
I’ve had a big fillet of un-dyed smoked haddock in the freezer  for a few weeks and was looking for an interesting, low fat, recipe to use it up.  Again I referred to my trusty BBC Good Food website and found this recipe.  I made a few minor changes to reduce the fat count and what a winner! 
I used asparagus in replacement of spinach and added a squeeze of lemon at the end.  Green beans or peas would also work well.  I delightfully tucked into my dinner, burning my mouth on the piping hot risotto!  The only thing I absolutely must remember to do tonight before I hit the sack, is to empty the bin as while I love the fresh smell of this dish, I cannot bear to wake up to a house ponging of fish tomorrow morning!
You’ll need for 2:
·         1 large or 2 medium leeks, sliced
·         1 tsp butter
·         150g Arborio risotto rice
·         350ml veg stock.  I use the Knorr liquid stock concentrate
·         125ml skimmed milk
·         Bunch of asparagus, woody ends snapped off and cut into pieces
·         250-300g un-dyed smoked haddock, cut into 2 – 3 pieces
·         Squeeze of lemon
·         Black pepper
·         2 tbsp low fat crème fraiche, I used the WeightWatchers one
·         Handful chopped parsely

What to do:
Preheat your fan oven to 180 c.  In an oven proof saucepan melt the butter gently.  Add the leeks and soften for a few minutes.  Add the rice and stir to allow the rice to toast for a minute or two.
Add the milk and the stock and bring to the boil.  Boil for 4-5 minutes.  Throw in the asparagus and stir.  Remove from the heat and put the haddock in the pan.  Cover with a lid or with foil and bake for 18-20 minutes.  (DS1 begged for 1 more story, so mine had 25 minutes and this was still fine!)
Remove from the oven and stir in the crème fraiche, parsley, black pepper and squeeze of lemon.  The haddock will break up into chunks as you stir.  Serve up and watch the roof of your mouth as it’s hot!!
WeightWatchers ProPoints Per Serving: 12

2 comments:

  1. What a dish!!! I had to tweak the recipe slightly as we didn’t have any smoked haddock and I wanted to use up some smoked mackerel (which put the pro points through the roof which resulted in a reduction of rice and volume of fish used) but my god, what a taste. Husband loved it quoting restaurant quality food. Another keeper from the JP kitchen, thank you Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy this sounds delicious, thanks for sharing this.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete