Tuesday 30 August 2011

Turkey Fajitas

It's been a few weeks and I'm sorry for no recent post.  What with a wonderful Sicilian holiday I've been indulging somewhat and have also enjoyed a post-holiday binge.  I've eaten and drunken what I have liked and it's been fab!  But my body is crying out for me to start Eating Healthy But Tasty (not to mention I really need to shift that extra half a stone I've gained). 

I've worked out that I literally spend roughly half the year dieting and the rest of the time saying I'll start next week.  So all in all I don't think I have done too badly in terms of weight loss.  Over 4 years I have lost a total of 3 and half stone (well 3 stone if I take into consideration my current post-holiday weight).  During this time I have had another child so I think a small pat on the back is worthy.  Anyway enough deliberating about dieting and eating healthy.  I feel I have a food-hangover and just need to find the will power inside me to stick to it for a good few weeks. 

Lot's of new recipes coming over the next few weeks as I am bored of eating the same thing and I am well up for a bit of experimentation in the kitchen.  Turkey Fajitas is a favourite though and after gorging lots of pasta, garlic and tomatoes in Siciliy it is nice to come back and enjoy a different cuisine.

You'll need for 2:
  • 265g lean turkey steaks or escalopes, sliced across the grain into strips
  • 2 peppers (I like to use a mix of red / orange / yellow)
  • 1 red onion
  • Half a punnett of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
  • 8 or so cherry tomatoes, halved or a couple of regular ones chopped
  • 4 WeightWatchers Tortilla Wraps
  • 50g reduced fat Guacamole
  • 2 tbsp fresh salsa
  • 2 tbsp 0% fat Greek Yoghurt
  • 40g grated cheddar, half
  • 1 tsp Cajun mix (more if you like it hot!)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
Place the turkey strips in a bowl and sprinkle with half the Cajun spice and 1 tsp olive oil. Mix well and leave to marinade for whatever time you have.  A couple of hours is good.

I like to prepare all my vegetables in advance making this a dish that can be thrown together in a matter of minutes.  Slice the vegetables and store in a plastic container in the fridge until required. 

When ready to cook, heat a griddle pan until it's really hot.  Spray your vegetables on the chopping board in olive oil spray or low fat cooking spray and throw into your piping hot griddle pan.  Stir frequently and allow the peppers to char.  This is a fab way to cook peppers and onions and if you are doubling up on this recipe you may need to stiry fry the veggies in batches.  Once cooked nicely through and tender, add the tomatoes and 1/2 tsp Cajun spice to coat nicely.  Move to a warmed dish. 

Add the turkey and stir fry quickly until cooked through.  This should be ready very quickly in minutes.  Add to the vegetables and serve allowing hungry eaters to serve themselves.

Heat the wraps as required for 20 seconds each in the microwave and serve with the condiments: Grated half fat cheddar, 0% fat yoghurt, reduced fat Guacamole and fresh salsa. 

Have several napkins to hand!

WeightWatchers ProPoints Per Serving: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment