Wednesday 14 September 2011

It's all about soup!

This is the time of year where I start eating a little less salad for lunch and I increase my intake of soup.  Unfortunately it's a bit more time consuming to make then knocking up a quick salad but at least you can make on mass and freeze or save for tomorrow.   If I am really pushed for time I have to admit that a WeightWatchers Tomato soup from Heinz is actually quite acceptable!

Soup Cooking


Of course nothing can beat homemade soups and my favourite has to be a broccoli and Stilton (more cheese, there's a surprise).  I've yet to make a broccoli and Stilton soup diet friendly although I think I am setting myself this challenge as I type...

Leek & Potato and Five Vegetable Soup have been on the menu these last 2 weeks so I thought I would share my recipes for these delightful, filling soups coming in at a very agreeable 2 ProPoints per decent sized bowl!

Leek & Potato Soup
For the Leek & Potato Soup:
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 3 leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
  • 1 potato weighing 300g, peeled and finely diced
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 150ml skimmed milk
  • Approx 1200ml vegetable stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Seasoning

For the Five Veg Soup:

  • Half onion, finely chopped
  • 1 leek, washed and chopped
  • Approx 350g swede, peeled and finely chopped
    Five Veg Soup
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
  • Approx 200g potato, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • Approx 2l vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • Seasoning
  • 2 small bay leaves or 1 large
  • 150ml skimmed milk

The method for both these soups is pretty much the same. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan and saute the onions and leeks until soft.  Add the vegetables.  In the 5 veg soup, add the swede first, followed by the carrots as these take longer to cook.

Basically chuck all the vegetables into the pan and cover with the stock.  Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer.  Season with plenty of black pepper.  Simmer for a good 30 minutes until all the vegetables are soft. 

Remove the bay leaves, add the milk and blitz.  I prefer to use a stick type blender as it saves a bit on washing up!  Taste and add more salt & pepper if need be.

WeightWatchers ProPoints Per Serving: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment